Wednesday, April 11, 2007

7-11 in the Ghetto

When I was a kid. I was hired to work at a 7-11 for a summer job. Oddly I had to take a lie detector test before they would hire me. Dude started off asking me if I had ever stolen from an employer "No" I said kind of proud. Is your name Pynch'sB" "Yes" (this is going to be easy!).

Have you ever used marijuana? "Yes" ( Ummm?)
Have you ever used amphetamines? "Yes" (whaaa?)
Have you ever used LSD? Yes (is this one of those flashbacks they keep talking about?)
Psilocybin (I kid you not)
Downers ,PCP ,Soapers, Hashish, Opium..
Glue ...

Yes Yes Yes Yes for gods sake yes. I didn't really want to work at 7-11 anyway let me go.

And then the last drug question.

Have you ever used Heroin? "No". My pride returned and I kind of swelled up. (whada do ya think i am A JUNKIE sucka?)


Anyway I left happy that I would not be hired. My mom had set up the interview as I was on like my 5th job that summer having purposely fucked up the others and was blissfully out of work and hoping to stay that way.

They called just a couple of hours later and said i was hired and that i should report to [redacted]
@ midnight that night for the 12 to 8 am shift. It was in the ghetto and known as a very get your ass beat, cut shot etc. neighborhood.

Fucked again.

I left the bucolic burbs at 11:15 and drove across town down the dim streets to my new place of employment. I was greeted by my Hispanic manager who started the training with "We been robbed a lot just give them the money in the drawer." And big smile "they point the gun, they don't want to shoot you man, they just want the money."

He gave me a paper hat to wear. And a 7-11 smock. A smock.

He quickly showed me the register, I didn't get it but nodded anyway, the safe into which I was supposed to put all receipts over $50, told me that I was supposed to write in a log whatever I ate or drank. And split.

Alone at the helm. Fluorescent light buzzing paper hat on, looking out the glass front at a spastic sodium vapor street light blinking in the parking lot...

more about that night later....

4 comments:

Trouble said...

Oooh! I can't wait!

An auspicious beginning! Gratz.

BTW, is it lone rhino or loner hino?

lonerhino said...

@trouble Thanks for checking in.

Its supposed to be Lone Rhino, but I kind of dig loner hino.

Trouble said...

Hello to one loner hino from another loner hino.

Indigo Bunting said...

So, a woman walks into a bar...